When I first ordered brunch from Northstar Cafe, I didn’t expect my favorite part of the meal to be the buttermilk biscuit and black cherry preserves. I immediately fell in love! I tracked down the brand of preserves and bought a jar (Clearbrook Farms Michigan Black Cherry Preserves). In order to complete the taste at home, I knew I needed to find a buttermilk biscuit recipe to live up to my expectations. After browsing Pinterest, I discovered a buttermilk biscuits recipe that looked similar. I followed the Food Fanatic recipe and my biscuits turned out almost as delicious as Northstar’s version.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons of buttermilk powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cubed
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and butter a 9″ cake pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, and buttermilk powder. Mix with a whisk for about a minute.
- Remove one cup of the flour mixture and pour into a deep plate or pie pan. Set aside.
- Reserve one tablespoon of butter. Use a hand-mixer, two knives, or your hands to work the rest of the cubes of butter into the remaining flour mixture in the bowl until it looks like coarse meal or graham cracker crumbs.
- Add one cup of water to the mixture and continue to stir the dough with a fork to mix. It should be wet and resemble cottage cheese. Be careful to not overmix.
- Butter or spray an ice cream scoop with cooking spray, then use it to scoop a wet ball of dough. Drop the ball into the pie pan with the remaining cup of flour and gently roll and shape it in the flour. Lightly shake off the excess flour and place the ball of dough in the buttered cake pan.
- Repeat until you’ve used all of the dough, placing 9 dough balls around the edge of the cake pan and one in the center. The biscuits should touch.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and brush over the biscuits as you remove them from the oven.
- Allow to cool for a few minutes, then serve immediately with your favorite preserves