Quinoa and black beans are two of my favorite ingredients. I came across a recipe on Pinterest that combined both and I knew I had to try it. I love chili, especially on a cold day, so I made sure I had all the ingredients for this black bean quinoa chili (I did) and threw them all together in a pot to make a delicious meal. We both were surprised how flavorful this healthy chili was and loved how to addition of Mexican-inspired toppings made it even more delicious. The sour cream and cheese bring down the health factor but are totally worth it. This meal helps with my attempt to eat less meat but still has some protein, thanks to the beans.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 oz) can of tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups water
- 2 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 (15 oz) cans of black beans
- 1 (15 oz) can of kidney beans
- 1 1/2 cups corn
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice of 1 lime
- Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium-high. Once oil is hot, add onion and saute for about 4 minutes, adding garlic in last 30 seconds.
- Add in diced tomato, tomato sauce, cooked quinoa, water, chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, paprika, granulated sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer, cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Add in all beans, corn, cilantro, and lime juice and cook until warm throughout. Serve with optional toppings such as diced avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, and/or tortilla chips.