I first attempted this DIY project while coming up with an idea for a Christmas gift for my future mother-in-law. I decided I wanted to gift her something home decor related but I wasn’t sure what style. I stumbled across a similar DIY project on Pinterest and loved that it adds a personal touch to a home decor item. I purchased the cutting boards on Amazon and picked up the chalkboard paint at Michaels (utilized that 40% off coupon). While the chalkboard paint was drying, I browsed message designs on Pinterest and asked my boyfriend (nicely) to use his artistic skills to write the message. It turned out great!
What You Need:
- A cutting board
- Can of chalkboard spray paint
- Ribbon or string
- Clean off the surface of your cutting board and remove any stickers.
- Spray with 2-3 thin coats, alternating between spraying in a vertical and horizontal motion.
- Allow to dry for at least 24 hours in a well ventilated space.
- Prime the surface by rubbing a piece of chalk on its side in small circles. Wipe clean with a rag.
- Write your message and finish with a ribbon or string around the handle.
*Tip for writing your message, sharpen the chalk with a pencil sharpener!