Happy birthday to me! October is the best month to have a birthday and I have always loved it. This birthday is monumental in so many ways. It’s my last birthday childless. I have found that this year I’ve had serious tunnel vision looking forward to meeting Isla so this year, I want to spend it reflecting on my life as it is and think about all the things I want to do before my next one. This year, I have so much to be grateful for.
As I did last year and the year before, this is a list of things that bring me happiness. I haven’t listed them in any particular order and some are definitely more important than others. Thank you for reflecting with me!
1. Fall weather. Though it’s currently a high of 82 today, we have been lucky enough to have experienced some fall weather already. With the exception of Sunday, the last couple of weekends have been absolutely perfect. I’ve been able to break out boots and cardigans, which is something I look forward once the thrill of summer’s heat has worn off. We haven’t used the A/C in weeks and the cat has enjoyed mornings with open windows.
2. Blogging/Journaling. It made the list last year, and though I am not blogging as often as I used to, I still love it. I have always liked writing and I really enjoy having a written record of things in my life that I can go back through at any time. When I found out I was pregnant, I began keeping a mini pregnancy journal on my phone using an app called Day One. I kept my thoughts brief but hope to get it printed one day to hand over to baby Isla. I hope to continue adding to it as I dive into being a new parent.
3. The nursery. Chris and I started working on this room back in late May. It started with painting the walls white and since then, it has evolved into a finished room. It makes me so happy to peek in every day and sometimes, I just like to sit in the glider and look around at all the things our baby girl will someday interact with (let’s hope sooner than later).
4. Reading. I have always loved reading. If you have kept up with my 2018 goals, I made it a point to read more this year, since I find that staring at my phone has filled a bit too much of my time. Chris has also been reading more, which has helped encourage me to read more. I am so glad I am, because I have read so many good ones this year. I might need to share some of my more recent favorites in a post coming up.
5. Autumn fashion. I can’t help it, it’s my favorite. I am dying to get back into my jeans and sweaters and pray that I will able to fit into my pre-pregnancy denim. I am going to allow myself one new pair of jeans as soon as baby is here and I am able to drop some weight because the thought that I won’t be able to wear my old denim for a while is just not something I can accept. I look forward to high-waisted jeans and thick sweaters. I may or may not have already treated myself to a couple things that I’m itching to wear.
6. Making the bed. You know you are old when this is something that brings you joy. I have made it a habit to make the bed (almost) every morning and I have found it very soothing. It’s nice to start your day doing something immediately that makes you feel in control and tidy. This has definitely helped me be more tidy overall and has helped me stay on top of my household chores. Hopefully I can keep it up once baby is here.
7. My job. I know I mentioned it last year, but I am still so, so grateful to be where I am. Though I am dying for some time off with my baby, I love my job. Sure, it’s a struggle to get out of bed sometimes and I look forward to Fridays, but I absolutely do not get that Sunday night dread that I have experienced before. I have great coworkers too, and that makes all the difference.
8. Caramel Macchiatos. I don’t know if I can blame pregnancy cravings or just the arrival of fall, but I cannot get enough caramel macchiatos from Starbucks. I do try to control my caffeine intake, being pregnant and all, and coffee is not a daily thing but I have not stopped craving caramel macchiatos for the last month or so. I am embarrassed to say the number of times I have added one to my Postmates order, stared at how much the delivery/small cart fee/tip would cost, and abandoned it…
9. Donuts. I can’t say I have had many cravings throughout pregnancy but donuts may be one. I have daydreamed about them. Poor C has made numerous trips out to Resch’s on weekend mornings to make me happy. Sitting here now, I so wish I had a sticky, sweet donut beside me.
10. Lush. I used to hate Lush but over the last couple of years, I have fallen in love. It started with bath bombs but as I try more things, I have started to convert more and more products over to Lush products. I have used the Therapy Bar throughout my pregnancy and swear it has helped my stomach stay moisturized and may have even helped prevent stretch marks. I am trying to reduce my plastic use and the naked shampoo/conditioner has been great!
11. My Fitbit. Chris is bad and despite being told no birthday gifts, he came home a couple days early with a Fitbit Versa. I have to admit, it’s pretty cool. I wanted a Fitbit to remind me to get up every once in a while when I am home with a baby. I am sure setting my activity/sleep goals is wishful thinking once I am sleep deprived but I am determined to get my step goals in. Here’s to a more active lifestyle.
12. Mustard yellow. I know, how millennial of me. I mentioned it last year, but I still love mustard yellow. Little Miss already has quite a few yellow pieces as I attempt to force her into everything that I am into.
13. Grocery delivery. I have been using Giant Eagle’s Curbside Express for a couple years now and it’s a dream. As someone who hates grocery shopping, it’s magical every time I can have my groceries loaded into the back of my car for me or, even better, delivered to my door.
14. Photography. I don’t take photos as often as I would like, but I have had a couple opportunities this year to take portraits, which has been really fun. I am looking forward to have a cute little babe to photograph to my heart’s content.
15. Live plants. I like to think of myself as a plant lady but sadly, I have killed my fair share of plants over the last couple of years. Thankfully, I have a few that I have managed to keep alive, like my pencil cactus, aloe, and snake plant. I absolutely love having potted mums on the porch when autumn comes, and I hope to pick a couple up to enjoy this month.
16. Travel. I don’t know when I will be able to top my 2017 trip to Copenhagen, but Chris and I have plans to continue traveling to new places. In 2017, I visited New Orleans and NYC and hope that in my 29th year, I get to explore the country even more. I know traveling with a baby will not be easy but Chris and I hope to cross another place off of our list.
17. Cooking. I have never disliked cooking but making the time and putting forth the effort can be challenging for me. We have done Blue Apron for over a year now and it has definitely helped us not only cook more, but eat better. I have learned that I’m not as picky of an eater as I once thought.
18. Organization. I have always been organized. I like to feel like I have some sort of control over my life and staying organized creates that illusion of control. I can’t say our house is always clean, but for the most part, I stay on top of our belongings. I clear out my closet often, streamlined my beauty and skincare, and take the time to clean the kitchen and bathroom regularly. I don’t know how well I’ll be able to keep this up as a new mom, but I hope by limiting our possessions, I can keep up.
19. Baby kicks. Since March, these have been constant reminders of the exciting event to come. I smile every time I feel a kick or, more recently, wiggle. I am dying to get this kid out but I will absolutely miss having her the closest she will ever be.
20. Baby clothes. Oh my goodness I can’t get enough of baby clothes. I can’t believe I ever, ever said that dressing a baby boy is better than dressing a girl because that is just not true. I hate to admit how picky I am when it comes to baby clothes, but I have picked up some flipping adorable things for Isla and cannot wait to force her in them. My current favorite places are Zara, Quincy Mae, and Spearmint Love.
21. The future. For the first time in a long time, I have this whole future ahead of me. It’s silly, but it took the notion of being a parent to really open my eyes and lay out my life ahead of me. Chris and I are going to responsible for another life and that person’s happiness. There will be family birthdays, and holidays, and vacations. With this exciting future I also have an increase in anxiety but I know we are just going to take it one day at a time.
22. The Drexel. Chris and I loooooooove movies. We go to more than most and since we live in Bexley, we are trying to attend the Drexel more. I love that it’s independent and nearby. They usually have three movies going at a time and in a way, this has been great because Chris and I are going to movies that we may not necessarily see if we had the options that other theaters have. I’m grateful to live in a neighborhood that has something as cool as the Drexel.
23. My Home. I think getting pregnant gave me the kick I needed to finish up a few things around the house. Though I didn’t tackle every space that I hoped to (spare bath, I’m looking at you), Chris and I were able to complete the office and nursery (previously the guest bedroom). For the most part, our home is us but it is still, and will always be, a work in progress. I can’t help by driving through Bexley and dream about living in a bigger, better house, but I can honestly say I am happy right where I am. There is nothing more that I need and that is a great feeling.
24. The city of Columbus. I love living in Columbus. I am a total homebody but try to get out of the house on the weekends when the weather is nice to enjoy my city. C and I have our favorites (Northstar, Fox In The Snow, The Book Loft) and it’s nice to have places we know will be fun to visit, especially since we have promised ourselves and each other that having a baby will not stop us from enjoying getting out and about. If you are looking for things to do in Columbus, I recently updated my favorite places.
25. My family. Everyone is healthy and for that, I am grateful. My family brings me so much joy and I can’t wait to pass that on to Isla.
26. Max + Pig. My heart swells when I think about them. I love them both so much and am so grateful I will have them to keep me company while I navigate the scary and lonely parts of becoming a first-time mom.
27. Chris J. He is the best partner. We understand each other so well and have such a close relationship. I just cannot wait to meet the baby we made together.
28. Isla Rey. I’m writing this on October 1 and so looking forward to meeting her officially. I have spent so much time thinking about her and loving her and can’t imagine what it will be like looking into her face for the first time. I have all of her clothes washed and folder, her room is ready, and her diaper bag is packed. Come any day, girl.
I can’t believe this is the life I get to live and I am determined to make it a full and happy one for our little babe. Chris and I are both so excited that Isla will share our birthday month. Here’s to year 29!