I know I haven’t been blogging much but I just couldn’t skip this post. Last year, I posted about 25 things that I was loving on my 25th birthday (see here). It’s nice to reflect on the year and think of positive things that made my year awesome. I thought it would be nice to continue the tradition this year and on the day that I turn twenty-six, here are twenty-six things that I love.
As I said last year, these items are in no particular order and I am typing them out as they come to me.
- My in-laws – I don’t know why as I write this I am getting a bit choked up but it’s been a rough week and a half. My husband’s family has suffered a terrible loss and watching them suffer absolutely broke my heart. The silver lining, though, is that I got to spend a lot of time with them, which I am very grateful for. I’m trying to appreciate my whole family more.
- Home videos – Related to #1, Chris and I have taken it upon ourselves to begin converting home videos to digital. We have been talking about doing this for years but recent events have motivated us to do it now. It’s so nice to go back through videos and see how much people have changed. To do this, we purchase the Vidbox. Next up, my home videos.
- Ender’s Game – I don’t do nearly as much reading as I used to and I really miss it. I read the Cursed Child when it came out and was super disappointed so wanted to get into a book that I knew I loved. I picked up Ender’s Game, which I’ve read several times before and got completely sucked in. I have since read 3 books so it definitely gave me a great jump start to reading more.
- House plants – Sadly, I have a terrible track record when it comes to keeping house plants alive, but I just won’t give up. My favorite has become snake plant because I swear it’s impossible to kill. I love to have green in the house and hope to get better at keeping plants alive so I can expand my collection.
- My new rug – Guys… this rug. I had been eyeing the Souk Rug from West Elm for a loooong time and finally bit the bullet and forked over the cash for it and I do NOT regret it. The rug is beautiful and super soft. It really ties the room together, do you know what I mean?
- Open-window weather – Fall is the best season. Hands down. My favorite weather is warm enough to leave the windows open but cool enough that you have to wear pants and long sleeves in the shade.
- Iced coffee – I’ve been buying the cold brew concentrate from Giant Eagle and treating myself to a cup throughout the work week. I love that I can add my own milk and sweetener and save myself the $4 a cup I would pay at Starbucks.
- Cooper’s Hawk – This place is my absolute favorite. I don’t know if I like the wine, the pretzel bread, or the salmon most. Being a wine club member and getting a bottle of wine every month is kind of bomb.
- Bath & Body Works Candles – I’m so basic, I know. Fall scented candles are my absolute favorites, though, and I can’t get enough of them in the fall. My favorites are pretty much anything with pumpkin, caramel, marshmallows – pretty much anything edible.
- TOMS flats – I have two pairs of these (in black and in natural) and I wear them ALL the time. They are my go-to work shoe because they are super comfortable and look nice enough to wear with dress clothes.
- Face masks – Lately, I’ve been doing face masks weekly and my favorites are the Origins clay masks (the retexturizing mask and the charcoal one). It makes me feel fresh on nights when I want to treat myself.
- Nordstrom/Nordstrom Rack – Best place for clothes, shoes, accessories. Enough said.
- Rubbermaid Commercial Mop and Microfiber head – While looking for homes, I desperately wanted hardwood floors. When we bought our house, I didn’t think I would do anything to the original hardwood floors but when I inspected closer, I realized how damaged they were. We decided to get them refinished and due to some stains, we had to settle on a dark stain, which is beautiful but shows EVERYTHING. Dark floors and a light-haired dog, not a good combo. I was sick of sweeping with a broom and decided to get a real microfiber mop head and mop and it has made cleaning my floors soooooo much better! It has been a real game changer.
- My Zella leggings – I love to be comfortable and leggings as pants are definitely some of the most comfortable. During the latest Nordstrom Anniversary sale, I picked up a pair of leggings from Zella and they are so lightweight and soft. I would wear them all day everyday if I could.
- Mustard yellow – This color has slowly become one of my favorite colors. It doesn’t sound very appealing, but once you see it in the right piece, it’s really beautiful (like Pantone’s Ceylon Yellow). I inherited an armchair from my grandma and it is my favorite piece of furniture. It’s just perfect in our living room. I also find myself gravitating towards clothing pieces in this color and recently purchased a scarf that’s the perfect shade of yellow from Nordstrom Rack.
- beautyblender – When I first bought this, I didn’t really understand the hype. Once I got used to it, though, it became my favorite beauty tool. For foundation and concealer, it’s really the best and most pleasant tool to use.
- Vacation time – Paid time off wasn’t something I got to enjoy until I took my job at the bank. It sounds silly but it’s so nice to be encouraged/forced to take time off AND be paid for it. I am a hoarder of vacation time and like to save it for when I really need a break. In September, Chris and I took our first vacation since last June and it was awesome. It’s nice to get away from the real world for a while and know that you aren’t missing out on needed income. I’m looking forward to several more days off before the end of the year to recharge.
- Avocados – If you know me well, you know my love for avocados. I went many years before I realized how much I love them, and I’ve been making up for lost time. My favorite way to eat them: on toast topped with a fried egg.
- Twenty One Pilots – In the last year and a half or so, these guys have become some of my favorite musicians. They aren’t exactly the type of music that I would think I would be into, but Blurry Face and Vessel have been the only albums I’ve been listening to lately and I don’t think that’s going to change anytime soon.
- Stranger Things – I don’t quite know what it is about this show that I love so much, but whatever it is, I’m not alone in loving it. It’s sci-fi, which is right up my alley. The acting is great. The story line kept me interested. I think the best part, though, is the awesome, 80s-inspired intro.
- Social Print Studio – I hate that I hardly ever pick up my camera anymore, but I am glad that with an iPhone, I always have a camera on me. Instagram provides an outlet to be creative with images and get them out there, but I hardly ever print pictures anymore and that makes me a little sad. Chris took a really amazing photo while we were on vacation in September, and we both loved it so much that we decided to have it printed through Social Print Studio. We got a 20×30 print and there’s something really magical about taking a photo you took on your phone, framing it, and hanging it on your wall (I have to admit…. it’s still waiting to be hung).
- My job – Work is work. I can’t say my job is perfect and that I love everything about it, but as far as jobs go, I have it good. I’m think I’m where I need to be right now, and that’s a huge relief. I love the interactions I get to have with different people and have met some gems.
- My first home. Buying a house is terrifying and wonderful at the same time. I definitely have shed many tears over the home buying process but after six months, I still walk around and think “I can’t believe this is all mine”. I love taking pride in my home and look forward to, over time, really making it our own. Read more about our home buying process here.
- My fur children. Max and Pig bring joy to me everyday. They are both very sweet and cuddle a lot, which I love. They play with each other often, which oftentimes serves as entertainment for Chris and I. It’s nice that whenever Chris is away for work, or I’m out after work for friends, that we don’t need to come home to an empty house. I know they aren’t human, but the love I have for them is pretty close.
- My husband. He is my rock. My best friend. The love of my life. When you start dating someone so young, I think you either have to grow together, or grow apart. Chris and I have been through a lot together and I’ve always been so comfortable with him. I’ll never grow tired of his company and I know I could not have found a better companion to do life with.
- The future – I’ve already achieved so many milestones but I know there are more to come in the future and I cannot wait!
To all those who have supported me throughout the last year, thank you. I don’t always get to spend lots of time with those I love outside of my close core, and I wish I had more hours in the day to see everyone. The older I get, the more I realize what things in life matter most. Time also seems to be moving faster and faster, and I don’t want to let life pass me by. Here’s to another year!